Friday, June 4, 2010

A Semi-productive day

So my phone died and I was banished to phone store hell for nearly 2 and half hours.
But in the end it was ok.
I started out today by going to read papers by Dr. Chapman, or at least the reading he assigned us. I read a paper he sent me, which was titled "Long-term natal site-fidelity by immature lemon sharks (Negaprion brevirostris) at a subtropical island." It was a study trying to determine if Lemon sharks stayed near their nesting place for an extended period of time. I found it very interesting and it rose a couple questions, especially about why they used the algorithms they did and how they determined which algorithm to use. The complexity of designing such an experiment astounds me and I hope one day to be able to conduct such a great experiment.
Now to the other part of my day.
I had to go to the verizon store because my phone was broken. Graciously, the grad student in charge of us undergrads drove me to the phone store. Apparently I didn't have access to the account, so I lost it. I started crying pathetically in the phone store. The grad student was there helping me the whole time, allowing me to use her phone and talking to the salesman while I talked to my mom on the phone. Eventually the manager came over, and by some happy accident, gave me a new phone, the same model as I had before. On top of that the grad student took me to get a coffee, her treat. I was so grateful. I felt helpless to do anything for her, so my hope is that I can do the same for others in a difficult situation. My best repayment I can hope for is to help some student in distress, and soothe them through their stress (or as the case may be, tears) in a time of need. Pay it forward.
We leave for Bimini in a week, and so I am beyond ecstatic I have a phone. Karma is on my side lately.
More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment