Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bimini

Today was my first day in the Bahamas.
MAN is it hot here.
I was drenched in sweat in less than an hour. Maybe that's a bad visual for everyone, but it was very hot and humid out.  Suddenly though, it all hit me. I had gotten my passport stamped, for real, and was in another country, about to deal with some lemon sharks.  This was amazingly cool.
Is amazingly cool.
I swam in the Atlantic Ocean today. They water was bright blue, and crystal clear.  I wore my new blue bikini because I think it makes my face light up, and looks good against the contrast of my brunette, somewhat dark hair.  The water was so warm, but also very salty.  I am, however, a fish.  I felt like flopping around and playing in the surf all day.  I borrowed Isaac's snorkel for a bit, and immediately I saw a silvery-white fish (a big one) and a conch shell with some cute little plant creatures growing on it.  I picked up to look--the inside was so brilliantly pink.  A soft pink fading into a sunset-y bright pink I had never seen in any conch before.  I wanted to find a brilliant one to take home--even though I knew I had no room in my luggage.  They said one was ok, so alright.  I would find another sunset conch and bring it home. The sand was pebbly and full of chunks of little shells, and the waves pushed over me, almost as if suggested I follow them down into the watery depths.  I could have stayed all day.
The town is quaint, and it looks as if local business is suffering, under what seems to be pressure from the resort.  It pains me a little, but it is still a nice, warm, BEAUTIFUL location, where I am collecting shark samples. (Or rather their vomit samples)
My hair is poofy and the food options are looking expensive and slim.  I think I can make it, however, if I am very frugal and think ahead.  I really want to go scuba diving here, because what other chance do I have to do something so wonderful again?  Not in Utah, and not soon.  So I must take advantage of the location now.
Tomorrow I go to see the lemons, as Demian calls them.  Exciting! More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment