We finally started work.
And boy is it stinky handling shark stomach samples. Although, I have to say, shark vomit smells better than dead mice. Weird how that works out, isn't it? Especially since vomit usually makes me, you know, vomit.
It was slow, stinky work, because I had to measure out 0.015-0.025 grams of sample, and change the blade and weigh boats every time (I have to folks, not an option not to, can't risk contamination!) However, and here is the true scientist hiding inside me, I still thought it was insanely cool. I found a sample with a very complete fish vertebrae. I geeked out a little at that. It's the small things like that that make science all the worthwhile for me. Seeing something small, but new and fascinating. Piecies of organisms, once in the belly of a shark, here, lying before me.
I poured an agarose gel, which I had never done before, so that was exciting to learn. It was a lot quicker that the acrylamides at home, but I imagine a lot more expensive. It was a relief to spend 5 minutes pouring a gel as opposed to 30. I sort of wished the people around me were a little more invested in my process of discovery. But I suppose I only feel that way because right now I don't know how to do anything, and it's all about their projects. So I will wait. I am hoping the trip to Bimini will guarantee me a little more time with Dr. Chapman (although it's probably going to be busy round those parts, so I can't be guaranteed that. He's a very busy and popular man, and I, am just a lowly undergrad.) I am excited to be working on a project all my own however. Well, all my own plus all Allison's own. Sure, they set up the topic, but it really seems like it is mostly ours and we can fool around with it. It will be a little of our own pioneering. If it really works. So far, original samples fail to show any fruitful results...
I try not to be jealous of all the other students constantly doing field work...I know my time will be in the Bahamas, when I'm catching lemon sharks and extracting their stomach contents. That does put a little gloom on the time coming back from the Bahamas, because I know my time will be consumed by agarose gels and smelly extractions. But the thing is, I find the beauty of science in those things, and will be happy to be doing it. Also, it was really cool that I personally got to extract samples of Great White Shark vertebrae today. Now that's what I call a cool sample!
I just wish I had cool questions and a better understanding of the project. I am sure in the coming weeks I will gain a better understanding, so I just try to relax. My impressions of Stony Brook change daily. One moment I think I want to go here for grad school, the next moment I am not sure I do. They seemed very focused on oceanography, which is fine, but I am really heart and soul to the core a biology student, caught in the trappings of living things and their many surprises. And not so much the ground they are swimming upon...
We'll see. It is a long way from home, but it seems to be a good program. I want to strive and learn, and I find myself needing to do that constantly.
I want a challenging and supportive environment. I hope to find that here. I hope to find my way in marine biology. I also hope for warm nights and sunsets and relaxing, inbetween all the learning. I want to have a real summer here in New York.
Today I put on the bracelet my aunt and cousins picked out for me. I hadn't noticed before, but there are little red gemstones on the arms of the starfish. It made me smile and want to start a charm bracelet, with some meaning, to chronicle my marine adventures. Somehow the jewelry they get me always tends to grow on me, and I really began to feel attached to this bracelet. I thought of Madeline L'Engle's books, the ones that touched me so. A Ring Of Endless Light (and the following and preceding books) will always be my favorite reads. I wish I had brought my copy.
Tomorrow I will see if I need to re-extract the vomit samples. Yum! Saturday early I leave for Bimini, and hopefully I get my laundry done before then!
Catch you on the flip side.
No comments:
Post a Comment