Monday, July 12, 2010

Bimini-In Retrospect

Alright--now I know I've been a negligent poster. And for that I am truly sorry!!!
Now to catch up.
Mostly, I want to talk about one of our last days on Bimini, the day we went out for the vertical long line. A long line is just like what it sounds like-a very long fishing line (and very thick cable) with hooks down the line, and of course bait attached to these hooks. It takes time to set, and with the weather being what it was, we weren't sure we were going to be able to do it. It catches large sharks--and when I say large, I mean, LARGE sharks. Not quite great white size, but big.
I'll start with our ride out there. We went out in a large caravan type boat, the kind they use for tours. As we set out, I was amazed at the color of the water. It was a brilliant deep blue, almost a royal blue. I'm pretty sure I got teased for my remarks about how "blue" the water was. I was simply floored. Something about the light made reflect in one of the most beautiful shades I've ever seen. It was like the colors you see in your dreams, like the from outerspace sea blue, but brighter.
We sat patiently on boats as they pulled up the line. A couple sharks were anchored, and we jumped out to swim to the first of 3 we would see that day. Swimming out into the ocean scared me. It seems like a silly thing that a budding marine biologist would be scared by the ocean, but I was surrounded by the fathomless depth. I was surrounded by the fabulous blue, and it spread beneath me, endlessly, seemingly with no bottom. I caught myself stuck, holding my breath. I wasn't sure if I could, lost in my thoughts the deep. I would remind myself, and suddenly gasp through my snorkel. The ocean was so massive, so deep.
The third shark brought to the top we were allowed to swim up to, and take a picture. I, sadly, had not known how close we could get to it, and just barely gripped the dorsal fin. Even in that small part of the shark, I could feel the limitless power. This was an immense being, that could take my life in seconds, yet held here stationary by hooks and line. After swimming away, I drew in fast giggles, almost searching for air, amazed at my luck. The giggling was anxious and in awe. What did I do to deserve such fortune?

I am content recounting this last experience in the Bahamas, for it pretty much sums up my experience. One of amazement and extreme luck. Although I don't miss the sand fleas, or the constant sweating, and especially not the horse flies, I miss the waves of heat, blasting me in warmth. I miss swimming amongst 20-odd baby lemons, holding still until they were almost swimming into my face, with eyes that match their skin, and feeling the fear, but also excitement. I miss seeing them look into my eyes as I looked into their's, feeling the danger and the love. I miss the days of grabbing my snorkel gear, and heading into the open ocean, for a day amongst the reef. I miss the reef club, and the camaraderie of the shark lab folks, living in the endless summer attitude that they clung too. I miss the days out on the skiff, riding the waves. I miss the days of never-ending time.

No comments:

Post a Comment